Its no ‘Infant’ Matter on IndiGo Airlines
Airlines have special provisions for taking care of infants, classified as children below 2 years of age. Some airlines would allow them more baggage allowance in cabin and check in, permit car seats, provide bassinets and even have child restraint devices. While talking of IndiGo, here are some provisions related to the infant travel:
- Infants are required to be seated on the lap of an adult. There is no permission given to take strollers/prams etc inside the cabin. These are allowed only till the cabin gate and from thereon these are taken into hold. Since these have to be kept in hold, it is very important that these strollers or prams are fully collapsible. These are not a part of check in baggage.
- Infants are allowed 1 cabin bag allowance of 7kg on domestic flights and 1 check in bag on international flights.
- There is a charge of Rs 1000 for having an infant on the flight. There is no separate ticket for the infant.
- Infants ID is also required at the time of check in. In fact, passengers travelling with infants are not allowed to web check in. They have to arrive at the check in counter of airline at airport. While their Birth Certificate is a valid ID, you can also present a number of other documents. Since Birth certificate might not have been made till then, discharge summary of mother and hospital records can also be shown.
- If the infant turns 2 years of age or more while on return journey taken on IndiGo airline, and you know that this will happen during the return journey, you are required to book tickets for return journey for the child as well. This will also make the child eligible for availing same baggage allowances as that of an adult.
If you have more queries relating to provisions for infants on Indigo, please feel free to ask us here…